Emergency Communications Center

Emergency Contact

  • Emergencies, please dial 911

Address

Hanover Police Department
129 Rockland Street
Hanover, MA 02339
Directions

About the Center

In 1958, a five-man committee was appointed by the Town Moderator to study establishing an Emergency Communications Center at the Town Hall. Joseph Ingle, Andrew Baker, George Currie, Avito Dicicco and Henry Newcomb were named. At a Special town meeting on November 28, 1960, the Town voted and appropriated from available funds the sum of $4522.20 to establish and equip the Emergency Center.

On May 26, 1961 at 8:00 AM the Emergency Center became functional and has been manned 24 hours a day since that time. In July 1962, a local government base station was added to the Center, serving mobile units of the Water and Highway Departments.

In 1962, the Center transacted 25,376 calls serving the Hanover Police Department, Hanover Fire Department, and the Visiting Nurse. A total of 63,000 radio and telephone messages were handled annually at the Communications Center.

By 1973, the Emergency Communications Center Committe consisted of three members Henry Newcomb, one of the founding members of the committe in 1958, Robert Coburn, and John Thompson. The Communications Center also employed nine dispatchers, some who started with the original opening of the Center.