According to Massachusetts General Laws, the owner or keeper of a dog over the age of 6 months shall obtain a license for the dog from the Town Clerk. The owner of the dog needs to provide the Town Clerk with a veterinary certification that the dog was vaccinated for rabies. If the dog has not been registered in Hanover prior to this year, or is newly altered, a copy of the certificate or receipt from the veterinarian who spayed or neutered the dog must also be included. Please refer to M.G. L. Chapter 140, Sections 136A – 174E for more details regarding these requirements.
Fees per dog
- Spayed/Neutered - $10
- Not Spayed/Not Neutered - $15
- Late fee after March 31st - $10
- Owner over age 70 - no charge
License Your Dog
The Town transferred to a new and more intuitive on-line software program in late April 2019. We are among the first towns in the country to use this new program and are interested in your feedback if you use it. Below please find the links to this new software:
- Log-in page (for existing Hanover dogs with existing accounts and a password)
- Find your existing dog page (for existing Hanover dogs whose owners have not yet created an on-line licensing account, but who want to save on time, data entry, and document uploads)
Items you will need to complete this transaction either online, by mail, or via the front door mail slot to Town Hall:
- The information on the Dog License Application, one per dog. If you use the on-line system and are simply re-registering an existing dog, you can retrieve your account by entering your first name, last name, house number and then by selecting a street name from the drop down menu. You must enter the information exactly how it was registered on the system in order to retrieve your account. If found, you have to confirm your pet(s) name and then you can enter an email and create a password.This will save you having to upload an existing rabies or spay/neuter certificate! It will also prevent duplicate and therefore confusing records.
- License fee, including late fee if April 1 – December 31.
- Copy of current rabies certificate. If you have previously recorded the existing vaccine record with us, it will be available in the system, and another copy is not necessary.
- Copy of spaying/neutering certificate (if applicable) and if the dog is not yet registered in Hanover. Once we have the information in the system, you don't need to bring this certificate again.
Regardless of whether you are licensing by mail, drop box or on-line, we will mail the tag and license to you for no additional charge.
The Annual Town Meeting of 2017 changed the way kennel fees are charged in Hanover. The new fees are as follows, regardless of the age of the kennel owner:
- Personal Kennel - $50 per year
- Commercial Breeder's Kennel - $75 per year
- Commercial Boarding or Training Kennel - $100 per year
The licensing period is January 1 - March 31, as it is for individual dogs; the late fee begins April 1 and is $10. The requirement to provide proof of rabies vaccinations and proof of spaying/neutering is also the same. Kennel owners are not currently able to use the on-line payment system, as an application, payment, review process and inspection is required prior to the kennel license being issued.
For more information and explanations/definitions regarding kennel licenses, please refer to Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140, Section 136A - 174E. A kennel with multiple functions will be charged the higher fee. If you have specific questions about your kennel and related fees, feel free to contact the Town Clerk's Office.