In order for the Senior Center to accommodate your transportation needs, we advise you to schedule your appointments with as much notice as possible. We cannot transport anyone after 11:30 AM during the week with the exception of Wednesday. To better serve our clients we request the following procedure:
- Reservations made one week in advance
- NO Same day reservation
- First come, first serve
- Allow an hour leeway each way
- Rides are often shared, waiting may be necessary
- NO unplanned stops-all arrangements made with coordinator
- NO Van transportation in the event Schools are closed due to inclement weather
- Return to Van at designated time
- Do not keep Van driver or other passengers waiting
- When shopping, please limit purchases to 3 bags
- The COA reserves the right to cancel at any time
The van takes residents to activities at the senior center Monday through Friday. The van also transports people to appointments, if available. This is a free service available to those who
reside in Hanover. In addition, a fixed schedule of the afternoon shopping trips is as follows:
- Monday: CVS and Shaws - Cushing and North Pointe residents only
- 1st Tuesday: Christmas Tree Shop, Roche Brothers (Marshfield)
- 2nd Tuesday: Stop & Shop, Dollar Tree, Kohl's (North River Plaza, Pembroke)
- 3rd Tuesday: Star Market, Marshall's (Webster Plaza Marshfield)
- 4th Tuesday: Market Basket (Plymouth)
- 5th Tuesday: Big Y, T.J. Maxx, Home Goods (Norwell)
- Wednesday: Medical, Hair appointments, Bank, Pharmacy
- Thursday: Hanover Mall
- Friday: CVS and Shaws - Legion / Barstow only
In addition, the Hanover Council on Aging provides transportation to local medical appointments in Hanover, South Norwell (South Shore Medical Center), North Pembroke (Harbor Medical Associates), South
Weymouth (South Shore Hospital), and Derby Street area in Hingham. Transportation to local hair appointments only available in Hanover and Pembroke.
We have a group of volunteers who can take Hanover Residents to local medical appointments. Please call two weeks in advance to make a reservation.
The GATRA Transportation hospital bus is a reservation-based service providing comfortable and safe wheelchair accessible transportation. GATRA Transportation services Hanover seniors and persons with disabilities for rides to and from Boston and greater South Shore hospitals.
- Persons 60 years of age or older
- Persons who are not 60 years of age but have a disability and are ADA eligible
Reservations may be made two weeks in advance through the Hanover Council on Aging between 8:30 AM - 12:00 PM to transport you to the Pembroke Stop & Shop plaza, where you will then board the bus to Boston bus. Boston doctor's appointments must be scheduled between 10:00 AM and 1:00 PM.
Follow these steps to book a reservation:
- Call the Hanover Council on Aging at 781-924-1913 to schedule your ride for the Boston Hospital Shuttle. Please let us know if you need transportation to the Pembroke Stop & Shop plaza (drop-off location).
- The bus leaves the parking lot at the Pembroke Stop & Shop plaza at 8:15 AM.
- The bus leaves the Boston hospital area to return to Pembroke at 3:00 PM.
- The fare to ride the Boston Hospital Bus is $15.00 round trip.
- Boston Hospitals served on Tuesdays and Thursdays:
- Veterans Hospitals, Beth Israel/ Deaconess Medical, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Mass General Hospital, Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary, New England Baptist, Boston Medical Center, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Joslin Diabetes Center, Tufts N.E. Medical Center and Tufts Dental Medicine
Additional Transportation Services
South Shore Hospital Courtesy Coach
The Courtesy Coach provides transportation to people who have exhausted all other options (family, friends, and public transportation) and need a ride to South Shore Hospital, South Shore Hospital Outpatient Services Center, Skin and Wound Clinic, DF/BW Cancer Center South Shore Hospital Breast and Mammograph Center, and the Center for Orthopedics, Spine and Sports Medicine. This should be based on necessity not convenience.
- This is strictly a door to door service, meaning that the driver is not allowed to go inside anyone's home to help or provide extensive physical assistance.
- Hanover is serviced by the Courtesy Coach on Fridays (No weekends or Holidays) the first pick up is at 8:00 AM and the last drop off (time leaving the facility) is 3:00 PM.
Pick up and drop off are at the Main Lobby in each of the hospital's facilities. The courtesy coach does not go to Doctors or Dentist's offices that are not at the above locations. The Coach does not pick up medical equipment for patients. Disabled patients must have an escort if they are unable to ambulate on their own. During inclement weather, pick-ups will be at the discretion of the manager. There is no smoking on the Coach.
The Courtesy Coach runs on a first come first serve basis. Whenever possible, appointments must be made at least 2 weeks in advance if not sooner. To make an appointment, call 781-624-4350. Please leave your name, phone number date and time of your appointments. All calls will be returned between 3:00 PM and 4:00 PM that day.
Call the Courtesy Coach number 781-624-4350 and leave a message. For emergency cancellations (the same day of the appointment), call 781-624-8000. Be sure to give your name and scheduled pick-up time and the operator will page the Courtesy Coach driver.
Return Ride Home
You must be ready to return home no later than 3:00 PM. Call 781-624-4350 and press "0", give the operator your name and ask them to contact the concierge at extension 4300 to notify the Courtesy Coach driver you are ready to return home. From off site locations, call 781-624-8000, give your name and ask them to contact the Courtesy Coach driver that you are ready to return home. The driver will be there as soon as possible.
South Shore Community Action Council
Door to door service is provided Monday through Friday, 6:00 AM to 6 PM. Seniors will be taken to medical appointment the cost is $50.00 round trip and an additional $1.50 per mile. Please call SSCAC to schedule your ride at 508-747-7575.
Bills Taxi / A&A Metro
Rockland, MA - Nearest service