The Water Operations Group operates with a staff of 21 full-time employees and one part-time seasonal employee and has an operating budget (FY19) of $3,014,444.
- Operates three drinking water treatment facilities, treating approximately 500 million gallons of drinking water annually. The treatment plants typically operate up to 16 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- Operates, monitors, and maintains nine wells in four different well fields and three water storage tanks.
- Operates and maintains a water distribution network with 110 miles of water main, 1,200 fire hydrants, 1,400 valves, 5,000 water services, and 300 backflow prevention devices.
- Perform numerous water quality tests to ensure that water that is delivered to homes meets strict water quality standards.
The administration division, working with the water distribution division, generates and mails 20,000 water bills a year. Bills may be paid at the Town Collector's office at Town Hall. Final water meter readings, notification of change in ownership of property, requests for Title V water records, and general water billing questions may be directed to the Chief Water Clerk at (781) 826-3189 during regular business hours.
Water meters are read and billed quarterly. The water rate is an increasing block rate with a fixed minimum quarterly charge based on the size of the water meter.
- Water Facilities and Treatment
- Water Facilities Gallery
- Water Distribution Information
- Water Reports and Presentations
- Water Rates
Due to the requirements of Hanover's Water Management Act Permit (9P3-4-21-122.01) and the need to ensure adequate reserves for drinking and firefighting purposes, water restrictions are now in effect in the Town of Hanover.
Effective immediately and until further notice, residents and businesses are required to limit outside watering of lawns, plantings, and gardens to odd numbered homes on odd days and even numbered homes on even days between the hours of 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM and 6:00 PM to 9:00 PM with hand held hoses only. The use of sprinklers of any type is prohibited. Any person violating the water restrictions shall be liable to the Town in the amount of $50.00 for the first violation and $100.00 for each subsequent violation in accordance with Hanover Town Bylaw 6-24.
Private wells must be registered at the DPW office (781-826-3189) and a "Private Well" sign put out facing the street. Hanover Public Works crews will be actively monitoring water usage and enforcing the restrictions as required by the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and our Water Management Act permit. The Town reserves the right to further restrict outdoor water usage should it be deemed necessary.