Renewing Your Current U.S. Passport

U.S. Passport renewals do not require the assistance of a Passport Acceptance Agent. You can renew your U.S. Passport by mail if all of the following conditions apply to your current passport:

  • Is submitted with your application
  • Is undamaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

U.S. Passport Renewal Form DS-82 is available on-line at Travel.State.Gov. U.S. Passport renewal forms are also available at the Town’s Passport Acceptance Office if you do not have access. A current passport photo must be attached to all renewal forms.

Passport renewal applications should be mailed to the U.S. Department of State Renewal Processing Center by the applicant along with a check or money order and your current passport.  The Department of State recommends using traceable mail such as Priority Mail.