Hanover Fire Department Press Release 1/24/20

Winter Street Structure Fire

On January 24, 2020 at 1:29 pm, the Hanover Fire Department received a call reporting a structure fire at 175 Winter Street. A 1st Alarm Assignment was dispatched. First arriving crews found heavy smoke and fire coming from the left side of a 100’ x 120’ one story wooden warehouse. The fire had already ignited several outside propane tanks that were stored up against the structure. Initial hose streams were directed onto the propane tanks to keep them from exploding. The fire was progressing rapidly through the structure and firefighters focused on protecting additional propane tanks and nearby structures. Several small explosions occurred inside the building during the fire.

Five Alarms were necessary to bring the fire under control. Mutual Aid assistance from Rockland, Hanson, Norwell, Pembroke, Abington, Whitman, Halifax, East Bridgewater, Kingston, Scituate, Brockton, Hingham, Marshfield and Plympton responded to the scene. Rehab units from the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, Providence Canteen, American Red Cross and Salvation Army supported incident operations. The Hanover Police and Public Works Departments also assisted on scene. The Hanover Emergency Communications Center coordinated incident communications and requests for mutual aid as well as several other incidents that occurred during the fire.

The Massachusetts Department of Fire Services District Hazardous Materials Response Team was requested to the scene to provide air monitoring at the fire scene and in the neighborhoods that surrounded the area. The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection had a representative on scene to assess the impact of water runoff to the area. After the fire was brought under control Pilgrim Propane responded a team to the scene to assist firefighters with a leaking propane tank.

The fire remains under investigation by the Hanover Fire and Police Joint Fire Investigation Unit along with Massachusetts State Police Fire Investigators assigned to the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Initial damage estimated to be at $400,000.

No Firefighters were injured during the incident.

As of 8:00am on January 25, 2020, firefighters remain on scene.