Marriage Intentions and Marriage Licenses

Except in special circumstances (detailed below), Massachusetts General Laws requires that the two parties must appear together in person at the Town Clerk's Office in order to obtain a marriage license.  You must also be at least eighteen years old, not related to the other party, and not already married.


The two parties will be asked to complete and sign under oath a Notice of Intention of Marriage.  Only the Town Clerk may administer this oath; please call ahead to insure her availability so that we may better serve you.  Among other details in the Intention of Marriage, information that is essential to completing this form includes your social security number, your place of birth and your mother's maiden name.  Blood tests are no longer required in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Massachusetts does however require a mandatory three day waiting period from the time the intention is filed before a license can be issued; Saturdays, Sundays and holidays are included in the three days.  A waiver from this period may be obtained from the courts.

Exceptions to both parties appearing in person exist due to special circumstances:  If a person is in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident.  If a person is incarcerated in a state or a county house of correction facility, hospitalized or otherwise unable to come to town hall due to medical reasons attested to by a physician, intentions may be filed by either party.


After the three day waiting period, one of the parties to the marriage may pick up the license from the Town Clerk’s Office.  A marriage license must be used for a ceremony in Massachusetts within sixty days from the date of filing the Intention of Marriage.  The solemnizer (member of the clergy or Justice of the Peace) who performs the ceremony must sign the license after the ceremony and return it to the Town Clerk's Office.


After the couple has been married and the license is returned to the Town Clerk’s Office by the solemnizer, the Town Clerk records and registers the marriage.  The couple receives a certified copy of the marriage certificate in the mail from the Town Clerk’s Office and a certified copy is also kept on file in the Hanover Town Hall. 

If you previously filed your intentions to be married in the Hanover Town Clerk's Office and would like a certified copy of your marriage license/certificate, please click on the below link and follow the directions therein:




Marriage Intention, License and Certificate - $40

Marriage Certificate for previously recorded and registered marriage -$10