Commonly Asked Questions and Answers

All Suitability Letters for new employees and/or substitutes should be sent to 

As a new benefit eligible employee, when must I enroll for Health Insurance?  Employees must enroll in health insurance within 30 days from their date of hire.

When does annual enrollment for health insurance take place?   Annual enrollment is July 1. Rates and information will be made available and distributed beginning in April. Deadline for Open Enrollment is May 12th.

Who do I call about questions regarding changing my primary care physician or my insurance ID cards?   Subscribers must contact either Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) or Harvard Pilgrim (HP) to change their Primary Care Physician (PCP)  Members may order I.D. cards by calling BCBS/HP/Delta Dental and mailing address should be confirmed (Member Service Phone numbers: BCBS 1-800-782-3675, HP 1-888-333-4742, 

Who is eligible to participate in the Town's health and dental insurance plans?   Permanent full time employees and part time employees who are regularly scheduled to work a minimum of twenty(20) hours a week are eligible to enroll in the Town's health or dental insurance plans.

Can retirees of the Town participate in the Town's health insurance plans?   Retired employees receiving a pension attributable to employment with the Town are eligible to participate in the Town's health insurance plans if they were eligible to receive benefits prior to their retirement.  

Who Can be an Eligible Dependent on my health insurance?  Legally Married Spouse, and dependents up to age 26, or a disabled dependent.

What Constitutes a Qualifying Event for a Special Health Insurance Enrollment?  Involuntary loss of coverage under another health plan (Spouse/Parent),Marriage, birth of a child, adoption of a child.   

For Marriage/birth/divorce/adoption - a copy of marriage/birth certificate or divorce decree is required to enroll.

Loss of coverage elsewhere - a letter from spouse’s employer that states the loss of coverage was involuntary or they ceased contribution toward the premium cost for spouse’s plan and HIPAA certificate that has the members covered and the date coverage ends.  

What happens with my health insurance coverage when I turn 65?.   When an employee or retiree turns 65 they must enroll in Medicare through the Social Security Administration.  Retirees have the option of purchasing Medicare supplemental health insurance through the Town.