The Department of State turnaround times for receipt of Passports is as follows:
Routine application: allow up to 6 weeks
Expedited application: allow up to 3 weeks
Turnaround times are subject to change please check with the Passport Agent when you apply
Make the Town of Hanover your convenient one-stop U.S. Passport center!
- Apply for a U.S. Passport Book or Card in the Passport Acceptance Office located on the Lower Level, or Ground Floor, of Town Hall.
- Passport photos can be taken on site.
The U.S. Passport Book may be used by U.S. citizens to travel by any means to any international travel destination.
The U.S. Passport Card may only be used by U.S. citizens to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea ports-of entry when arriving from Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Please check www.travel.state.gov for the specific requirements related to your travel destination.
Town of Hanover Passport Service Hours (including passport photos)
|Tuesday:||8:00 am - 11:30 am|
|Wednesday:||8:00 am - 11:30 am|
|4:00 pm - 7:00 pm (BY APPOINTMENT ONLY)|
|Thursdays:||9:00 am - 12:00 pm|
Please call Lorraine Burgio at (781) 826-5000 x 1006 with any questions or to schedule an appointment to submit a passport application.
Applying for a New U.S. Passport
Find passport application details on the U.S. Department of State website at www.travel.state.gov and from the National Passport Information Center (877) 487-2778.
How to Apply:
If this is your first passport, you will need to present your completed application and all required documents in person before a Passport Acceptance Agent.
If you are renewing a current or expired adult passport see "How to renew your current passport" below.
When applying for a new passport in person, you need to submit:
- A completed application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport) which may be completed and downloaded online at www.travel.state.gov or picked-up at the Town’s Passport Acceptance Office. To save time, complete the application on-line, print and bring to the Town’s Passport Acceptance Office. Blank Form DS-11's are also available at the Town's Passport Acceptance Office. USE BLACK INK ONLY AND DO NOT SIGN YOUR APPLICATION.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, which may be established with a previous U.S. Passport, Certified Birth Certificate, or Certificate of Citizenship or Naturalization. Photocopies of these documents are not acceptable. Documents submitted will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your U.S. Passport.
- Current proof of identity, which may be established with a current valid driver’s license (not temporary or learner permit licenses), military I.D. card, or State I.D. card. Full information on proof of identity is posted on the www.travel.state.gov.
New Applications must be signed in the presence of a Passport Acceptance Agent.
Renewing your current U.S. Passport
You can renew your U.S. Passport by mail if all of these conditions apply to your current passport:
- It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.
- It was issued when you were age 16 or older.
- It was issued within the last 15 years.
- It was issued in your current name (or your name change legal document is mailed in with your application).
U.S. Passport Renewal Form DS-82 is available on-line at www.travel.state.gov, so you can complete the mail-in renewal process yourself without going to a passport center. U.S. Passport renewal forms are also available at the Town’s Passport Acceptance Office.
A current passport photo must be attached to all renewal forms.
Passport renewal applications should be mailed to the U.S. Department of State Renewal Processing Center by the applicant. The Department of State recommends using traceable mail. More information on renewals is available at www.travel.state.gov.
Birth Certificate Requirements
To be used as primary evidence of U.S. citizenship for a passport application, certified copies of birth certificates must include the following information:
Full name of the applicant.
Date of birth.
Place of birth.
Full name of applicant’s parents.
Raised, embossed or multicolored seal of issuing authority.
The date the birth certificate was filed (recorded) with the registrar’s office must be within one year of the date of birth.
Birth certificates missing this information are not acceptable as evidence of citizenship. To obtain a new birth certificate, see the CDS’s website at http://cdc.gov/nchs/w2w.htm. You can also obtain information on www.vitalcheck.com.
Applicants under the age of 16 are classified as minors. Minors must appear before the Passport Acceptance Agent at the time the application is filed along with both parents.
Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age must appear with one parent.
Passport Photo Requirements
- One passport photo is required. It must be:
- Whole-face view taken within the last 6 months.
- A color photo (black & white photos are not acceptable).
- 2”x 2” in size.
- Against a light background.
- No hats, head-covering or sunglasses should be worn.
- Vending machine photos are not acceptable.
More details on photo guidelines are located at www.travel.state.gov.
A check or money order only made payable to the U.S. Department of State per application for the following:
Adult Passport Book --- $110
Minor (under age 16) --- $80
Adult Passport Card --- $30
Minor (under age 16) Passport Card --- $15
Expedited service --- $60
Overnight delivery, for Passport Books only, is available for a one-time fee of $20.66
A check or money order made payable to the Town of Hanover (cash is also accepted by the Town) per application for the following:
Execution fee per application --- $25
Passport Photo fee --- $10
** Please note – The application fee is a non-refundable processing fee and is retained by the Department of State whether or not the passport is issued. The Execution Fee payable to the Town of Hanover is also non-refundable.
The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.
|Lorraine Burgio||Passport Acceptance Agent||781-826-5000 ext 1006|