Frequently Asked Questions

How long does it take to receive my passport?
Routine application processing takes 4 – 6 weeks.  The Town of Hanover can also provide expedited service, for an additional $60.00 fee, which reduces the processing time to as little as   2-3 weeks.

Where can I get a copy of my U. S. birth certificate?
Birth certificates can be obtained from the State, Town or City in which you were born.

What if my name has changed?
The name on your passport should match your evidence of identity and citizenship.   To change your name on a passport you must submit a marriage certificate, or a certified copy of the court decree substantiating the change.

If your passport was issued within one year, you will need to submit a completed Form DS-5504, one photo and the document substantiating the name change to the address that is shown on the form.  There is no charge, but if you need expedited service, you must enclose a check in the amount of $60.00 payable to the Department of State.

If you are requesting the name change more than one year after the passport was issued, you must submit Form DS-82 (or DS-11, if appropriate) and pay the applicable fees.

Can I get a passport for my child?
For all children under age 16:

To submit an application for a child under 16 both parents or the child’s legal guardian(s) must appear in person and present the following:
Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship.
Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/ guardian(s).
Parental/ guardian identification.
Each minor child (under 16) applying for a passport book or card must accompany you to apply for a passport.
All applications for children under 16 require both parents’ or legal guardian consent.
Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).
If only one parent appears, you must also submit one of the following:

Second parent’s notarized written statement or Form DS-3053 – Statement of consent or special circumstances:  Issuance of a passport to a minor under age 16 (including the child’s full name and date of birth) consenting to the passport issuance for the child.   Statement cannot be more than 3 months old and must come with a photocopy of the front and back side of the second parent’s identification, OR second parent’s death certificate if second parent is deceased OR Primary evidence of sole authority to apply, OR a written statement or DS-3053 (made under penalty of perjury) explaining in detail the second parent’s unavailability.
Special Requirements for all children age 16 & 17:

The minor and one parent must appear in person at the time of application.
Provide evidence of U.S. citizenship.
Provide current proof of identity.
Have a parent or guardian present photo identification if the minor does not have identification of his or her own.
I have an expired passport.  Can I renew it by mail?
If the passport is an adult passport, is not damaged, was issued within the last 15 years and was issued in the same name (or the name change can be documented), you can renew it by mail.

How can I get a replacement for a lost or stolen passport?
To replace a lost or stolen passport, complete Form DS-11 and Form DS-64, following the instructions on

Where can I get information about the status of my application?
Status information is available through

I have a family emergency and need a passport immediately.  What can I do?
Contact the National Passport Information Center at 877.487.2778 and the staff there will advise you.  There is no charge for this call.

What if the name on my passport doesn’t match the name in which I’ve purchased my airline tickets?
Airlines strongly encourage you to buy tickets with the exact name listed on your passport.  
If you have purchased international flight tickets, be sure the name you use on your passport application will match the name on your airline tickets.

For additional information, please call the National Passport Information Center at 877.487.2778 or visit the Department of State website,