Town Wide Update Report (4-1-18)

Town of Hanover
Town Wide Update Report

April 20, 2018

Anthony Marino Acting Town Manager

Click here for PDF version

April & May, 2018

Departments

Town Manager

The Town Managers office is very busy overseeing the six department heads that report directly to the Town Manager and working on the new initiatives that the Board of Selectmen are moving forward to include:

  • This Town Wide Update Form
  • Traffic Zone/Speed Limit setting policy
  • Working with developers to streamline the permitting process for their projects
  • Preparing the Town Meeting special and annual warrants
  • Various Policy updates presented by the Board of Selectmen
  • Working on projects for the town to include, finishing the Veterans Memorial, getting bids for work at the fireworks site and selling the old fire station located at 207 Broadway
  • Bidding out the HVAC work for Town Hall

 

The Acting Town Manager continues to work closely with the Board of Selectmen as we work on the strategic goals of the Board of Selectmen and look to create a transparent government for our residents and business owners.

 

The Board of Selectmen looks forward to Joseph Colangelo, Hanover’s next Town Manager starting on April 30, 2018.

Building / Inspection Services

Received demolition permits for Merchants Row Plaza and plaza across the street, the old Brueggers Bagels site.  Continue working on re-inspections for commercial properties and zoning issues.

 

Over the next thirty (30) days the Building Department will be working to follow up on the following zoning issues:

  1. 348 Center Street – Ongoing enforcement about a pre-existing non-conforming use, injunction filed, waiting on decision
  2. 795 Washington Street – Enforcement of special permit conditions, requires follow up.
  3. 811 Washington Street – Ongoing enforcement case to file for a special permit for outdoor display that is currently in the courts, still awaiting results of an appeal of court’s decision.
  4. 1076 Washington Street – Owner is working on restoring the property in accordance with a plan approved by the Planning Board, work to be completed early spring 2018
  5. McGee Toyota – Parking cars on adjacent undeveloped parcel (former Village Project), letter sent out to owner, will follow up with fines if they do not comply

Conservation

The Conservation Office is currently overseeing several commercial projects along Route 53 including auto dealerships, the sports complex, retail establishments, and restaurants.  Other ongoing projects include the Fireworks Site cleanup, demolition and site remediation, dam removal projects, and many residential upgrades.  Preliminary inspections by the Conservation Agent are also underway for a community garden with walking trails, demolition with stormwater management improvements on a commercial site, and the upcoming widening of Route 53 near University Sports Complex.  The Conservation Agent is also working on updating the Commission's Rules and Regulations and has started a new invasive species management program in the Office.

Council on Aging

The COA continues to collaborate on programming with the JCL, and have entered into another program series with the YMCA.  We have strengthening our networking in the community and many local physical therapy and home care agencies have come to do special workshops and crafts with their target populations.  Including the famous Alzheimer "Walk in Their Shoes Program".  We are also having a "Spring Fling" Dinner Dance on Sunday April 15. 

 

We are having volunteer appreciation breakfast coming up April 20 with 3 volunteers set to receive special state recognition.  

 

Another great partnership is the SS Conservatory they will be holding 3 performances from their Story Tellers Series, with a grant from Hanover Cultural Council. 

 

We will be holding our quarterly triad meeting April 30. 

 

Our most rewarding new relationship is with the attendees of the Friendship Home in Norwell. They are serving lunches for the seniors twice per month and also leading craft workshops.  

 

We are up 10% in ridership.

 

We are up 35%  in outreach initiatives

 

We are up approximately 5% in attendance to our activities. 

Public Works

DPW Selectmen’s Update Report for April 2018

Winter weather played a significant role in the DPW’s schedule in March.  The DPW handled five snow and ice events, including several strong wind events that caused widespread damage to trees throughout the community.  The tree damage set the highway and grounds crews back several weeks as there was a large volume of brush that needed to be cleaned up from the side of the roads.  As April approached, most of this work was completed.   The DPW does not have the resources to clean brush that has fallen into residents’ yards.  To assist residents, the Ames Way brush pile Saturday weekend hours were started early and extra hours were added on Sundays in the month of March.  As of April 1st the hours are now Monday thru Friday 7:30 am to 2:30 pm and Saturdays 8:00 am to noon.

The water distribution crew continued to replace meters and perform backflow inspections.  The total meter replacement count for the fiscal year is 378.  Roadway improvement plans have been submitted to Mass DOT for approval under the Chapter 90 program.  Work is expected to commence late in the spring.

Finally, the DPW received word that Mass DEP has approved the plans for modifications to the three water treatment plants to switch to chloramines to reduce disinfection byproducts (DBP).  It should be noted that the Town has been in compliance with the DBP standards through careful selection of sources, but this is not a sustainable method of controlling the DBP’s, especially during the summer months when demand is high and raw water organics increase.  We will be meeting with Weston and Sampson to finalize the schedule and put the project out to bid.

Over the next month, the DPW should be fully into spring and summer operations.  The grounds crew will be performing final preparations of the playing surfaces at all facilities and will likely have to begin mowing operations sometime during April as the grass comes out of dormancy.  Field fertilization is scheduled for April 17th and 18th.   The highway division will continue with repairs to lawn damage caused by snow and ice operations as well as begin street sweeping.  Water distribution will likely perform 30-40 meter change outs as well as begin the spring flushing program.  We expect to advertise the DPW’s annual bids for supplies and services for FY 19 and transition the fleet to summer operations.  April should be a busy month.

Finance

Here’s the town-wide update for Finance:

  • Processed more than 10,000 Motor Vehicle excise tax bills for payment before the due date of 03/29/2018.

 

  • Pursuing plan to implement more aggressive collection of existing tax title accounts.  First letter sent to those delinquent on their Fiscal Year 2017 real estate taxes, in preparation for initial takings in June if any of these accounts are still late at that time.

 

  • Provided excellent customer service in answering large volume of questions from residents regarding their payment of local taxes, as these residents prepare their federal and state income taxes.

 

  • Working closely with Advisory Committee and Acting Town Manager to finalize proposed Fiscal Year 2019 budget before Town Meeting.
  • Coordinating with Melanson, Heath to finalize the Fiscal Year 2017 audit.
  • Currently inspecting properties of those who applied for real estate tax abatements, and then processing abatements as granted or denied.
  • Boat forms of list distributed to boat owners in anticipation of committing and mailing Boat Excise bills.

 

  • Certifying large volume of nomination signatures from candidates for Town Election and fall State Elections.

Facilities

FACILITIES UPDATE APRIL 2018

  • Weather dominated the month of March, as Facilities maintenance personnel worked to clear snow on parking lots during storms and perform daily salting operations to control ice, while custodians cleared sidewalks and cleaned the trekked in ice melt and sand off floors.  Interspersed with this work the department closed out 99 work orders involving everything from clearing clogged waste drains, responding to no-heat calls, and clearing iced up drains on roofs.

 

  • Called in roofing contractor to replace approximately 50 shingles on the Police Station roof that had blown off during a storm.

 

  • Called in our contractor, Schneider Electric, to the High School to check out the large UPS unit that backs up the building’s digital network.  The unit was sending out warning messages about weak batteries in the unit.  However, after running a series of diagnostic tests, the tech reported that the batteries were fine and the messages were being caused by trigger settings that were a bit too conservative.

 

  • On 3/23/18, training for the Facilities managers was held on the new “Energy Analytics” software that was newly added to the High School’s BMS system.  The Analytics was a component of the updated BMS system for the school that was included in the 2017 round of Green Communities grants.  The Analytics monitors virtually all components of the building’s HVAC system and generates trends of the performance of the components and reveals when components begin to perform at less than optimum efficiency.

 

  • On 3/27/18, Bob participated in a meeting at Superintendent Ferron’s office that had been called to discuss school security improvement recommendations that had been submitted by School Committee member Libby Corbo.  It was decided that Facilities would move forward with development of a secure vestibule at the front entrance of the High School, including adding a new high security window in the wall between the school office and the vestibule.  Improvements will include exit devices (panic bars) and lock hardware added to the doors on the interior side of the vestibule, security glass added to all doors, and additions to the access control system to control the operation of the doors at the new control station in the school office.  Alan Peterson, Deputy, was assigned as project manager.  The Facilities department will also investigate a proposal to modify the entrance area of the Cedar School to improve on the rather poor security configuration of the entrance.

 

  • Bob met with architect Jim McKinnell to develop plans for the new air conditioning system for the front half of Town Hall.

Fire

 The Fire Department just experienced its busiest month ever.   We responded to 483 calls during the month of March easily surpassing the previous busiest month of February 2013 (NEMO).  

We enter woods fire season this month and we will be readying both of our forest fire trucks this week and next.    Downed trees and limbs are blocking many access points into the wooded areas and provide additional fuel for fires.  There is the potential for fires to be larger and more intense this year.   On duty crews will begin checking our fire roads this week and will work to get them opened.  Hopefully we have weekly rainfall to keep the woods damp.   

Recent questions have appeared on Facebook and I think this might be worth sharing.   Open burning season ends on May 1st and I hope that the weather conditions allow us to issue permits.    It would be good to let the Board know that there are many factors that go into the decision to allow open burning.   1.  The DEP evaluates the atmospheric conditions each morning and lets fire departments know if burning is allowed.   They look at it from a health perspective.   They do not usually allow burning on rainy, damp days, or if there is a lack of wind.  This seems a bit counterintuitive but is necessary because of the excessive smoke that can be generated.   2.  If the DEP says it is okay to burn the fire department then looks at the weather forecast to see how the wind, humidity and temperature will affect the spread of fire.   If the winds are forecasted to gust over 20 mph we do not issue permits.   Low humidity and high temperatures also contribute to rapid fire growth and can influence our decision. 

The new recruits are doing well so far.   The two newest hires have been assigned to the September 4th academy.   This class graduates on November 16th.  They are assigned to work on the ambulance exclusively until they begin the academy. 

Greenwood Fire Apparatus anticipates taking Tower 1 towards the end of the month to have the final adjustments and modifications completed.  

Health

The Health office continues to work on license renewals and processing numerous requests for septic system plan approvals and the subsequent inspections that go with them.

Over the next thirty days, they will continue working on septic inspections and also begin to ramp up the semi-annual restaurant inspections to include the school cafeterias.  Also, the Health Office hosted the annual rabies clinic that was held at the end of March 2018.  We are also working with the Hanover Police Department to offer the bi-annual Drug Pick Up Day on April 28, 2018.

Information Technology

The Hanover Technology Department has been preparing for the Spring 2018 MCAS testing season which began on April 4th and runs through mid-May.  Students in grades 3-8 will be completing this standardized test online using chrome books at Sylvester, Cedar and HMS. This year students in grade 10 math will be participating in a pilot of the MCAS online assessment.

 

We continue to work with the Center Building project to outfit infrastructure equipment such as switches and wireless access points as well as coordinate installation of internet service to the building.  With walls going up and wiring being installed we are nearing the point where we will get very busy working to bring the new building online.

 

The redesigned school website is scheduled to launch during April break and we will turn our attention on updating the town website.

 

Hanover Fire Department email has been migrated to hanover-ma.gov (same as Town Hall) and the Police Department will be migrated late April.  Appropriate forwarding has been configured so any e-mail sent to the former addresses will be delivered to the new addresses.

Library

In March:

1. All staff completed the PQA for the Town-Wide "market basket " survey

2. Library Director attended the PLA (Public Library Association) conference in March

3. Director and Library Trustees working on policy updates for the library

4. Director and Library Trustees reviewed Library Trustee By-Laws

5. Roll out of new library downloadable service called Hoopla.  Here is the link to the info on HOOPLA on the Library's website: 

Description: https://embedwistia-a.akamaihd.net/deliveries/56716d7b1f1ec744195ff7638cd50641830db4c0.jpg?image_play_button_size=2x&image_crop_resized=960x540&image_play_button=1&image_play_button_color=002c4fe0

e803d8d6-0d1f-452f-bb14-d0c68227c09b.mp4

 

 

6. Library Director along with COA Director produced and printed Library and COA Happenings for 2nd quarter.  Please share or pint the file from this link: http://www.hanovermass.com/library/wp-content/uploads/2018_April-June.pdf

7. Continuation of procuring the purchase of a print management system and computer reservation system for Library Patrons.

8. Addressing some of the facility needs at the Library including lighting in the LARGE PRINT area with facilities department.

9. Purchasing signage for the library as many areas are unmarked, leaving patrons in a quandary as to where materials can be located.

10 Continue to address programming needs.

11. Purchase 2 additional museum passes per patron inquiries.

For April:

1. Director and Library Trustees continue working on policy updates for the library

2. Continue to promote new library downloadable service called Hoopla.

3. Continuation of procuring the purchase of a print management system and computer reservation system for Library Patrons.  

4. Continue to address programming needs.

Parks and Recreation

April 2018

Summer 2018

Registration for Parks & Rec Summer Program starts on Feb. 1st, the Summer Programs will run from July 9th to August 17th.  Due to the ongoing construction at Center School, the Summer Programs and the Summer Concert Series will be relocated. The Summer Programs will once again be based out of the Middle School.  As in the past, we anticipate more than 165 participants per week.  Like last year, the Summer Concert Series (July 15th – Sept. 23rd) will be moved to Forge Pond Park.

Payroll/Benefits Office

The Payroll and Benefits Office continues to work diligently to support the town employees and provide support with regard to employees pay, deductions and benefits costs.  Audrey Barresi is working with town department heads and supervisors to plan this year’s Health Fair at the High School which kicks off our open enrollment period for town employees to sign up for benefits. 

 

Planning

The Planning Office, led by Acting Town Planner Michaela Shoemaker continue to work with the Planning Board, ZBA and CPC and many other committees to process new applications and work with business owners to expedite the special permit process.  The list of active cases and applications is listed below in the committee section of this document

Police

Members of the department command staff attended the MIIA sponsored training at the College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA.  Members participated in a daylong seminar featuring Gordan Graham: What First Line and Mid-Level Law Enforcement Supervisors and managers need to Know.  Attendance at this important seminar earned premium reduction credits for the Town of Hanover liability policy.

The Month of March kept department members busy with three major snow events.  During one of the events, while there was an extended period of power loss, the department’s emergency generator failed.  E911 answering was switched to the Town of Rockland which serves as an emergency back-up.  Dispatch services were relocated to Fire Headquarters and there was no interruption of emergency call taking or dispatching.  The town has entered into an agreement to replace the 20 year old generator and will provide for further redundancy in the new unit.

Chief Sweeney, Lieutenant Nihan and Sergeant Kane provided emergency planning updates and guidance to the Hanover Public Schools, Cardinal Cushing School and the YMCA Early Learning Center.  Emergency preparation is a high priority and the department continues to work with both public and private partners in these endeavors.

The department took possession of one of the vehicles which was replaced as a result of the 2017 Town Meeting Warrant.  Purchases will be completed in April.

Town Clerk

Town Clerk’s monthly update report – April 2018

The Town Clerk’s Office is shifting into Town Meeting and Town Election high gear as we pen this update.  Notable activities over the past month have included:

  1. The deadline to submit nomination papers for candidacy for town-wide office has passed.  The following people have had their nomination papers certified by the Board of Registrars and submitted to this office for inclusion on the ballot (one position open unless otherwise noted) –

 Board of Assessors, 3 years, Frank A. Greco, Candidate for Re-election;  Board of Health, 3 years, Delshaune Flipp; Board of Public Works, 3 years, John L. Benevides, Candidate for Re-election; Board of Selectmen, 3 years, vote for two, Brian E. Barthelmes, Candidate for Re-election, David R. Delaney, Candidate for Re-election, Mark K. Anderson, John S. Barry, Daniel A. Pallotta; Moderator, 1 year, Douglas T. Thomson, Candidate for Re-election; Planning Board, 5 years, Meaghan N. Dunne, Matthew Tocchio; School Committee , 3 years, vote for two, Elizabeth R. Corbo, Candidate for Re-election, John T. Geary, Candidate for Re-election; Trustee of the Public Library, 3 years, Jeanne M. Cianciola, Candidate for Re-election.

Next on the list of deadlines is Wednesday, April 11th, which is the last day to object or withdraw from a race.  The last day for voters to register to vote at this election or at Town Meeting follows that and is Tuesday, April 17th.

  1. Speaking of objecting to a candidate, for the first time in over 30 years here in the Town of Hanover a residency challenge has been filed in this office by Mark K. Anderson against John S. Barry.  The Board of Registrars (which includes the Town Clerk) met last week and determined there were sufficient grounds to hold a hearing.  Mr. Barry is being served with a summons to appear at a hearing this week, and the hearing will be held on Monday, April 9th at 10:00 a.m. in Town Hall.  This Town Clerk is grateful for the training she has received over the years thanks to the support of the Town, and for the support of her colleagues as we navigates our way through these uncharted waters.

 

  1. Unfortunately, only approximately 4000 of the 5600 local census letters have been received, so the Registrars are contemplating next steps regarding getting the remaining censuses in so that voters don’t have to be inactivated.  We are now also busy with preparations for the Federal Decennial Census, which is marked by the Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA) project in this office and the Registrars.  We will be utilizing information from the Assessor’s Office, the Building Department, and the UMass Donohue Institute to complete this process.

 

  1. The licensing period for dogs in Hanover has passed, and we are now charging a $10 late fee for anyone who wishes to register their dog.  A rabies vaccination clinic was held in conjunction with the Board of Health this past month.  Only seven people licensed their dogs during that time, a low number compared to past years, which we attribute to the ease of registering on-line now.  We will be able to reduce our staffing at that event next year as a result.

 

The next 30 days will be filled with Town Meeting and Town Election preparations, which will include three election worker training sessions, a reprise of demonstrating poll pads at Town Meeting, and the residency challenge resolution.  Absentee ballots should be available by the last week in April (if not the week before).  Also on the horizon is a possible win-win resolution of the elected vs. appointed status of the Town Clerk

Treasurer / Collector

See Finance update above for this department

Veterans

The Veterans Service Officer has been busy processing benefits request and assisting our Veterans with housing needs.  Over the next thirty days, we will be working closely with two veteran volunteers to compile and finalize an accurate list of veteran names to be placed in our memorial.

 

Committees

Advisory Committee

The Advisory Committee continues to work on the Town Meeting warrant articles and the review of the FY19 budget.  The Advisory Committee has televised most of their meetings this year and they can be viewed through our Cable TV link located on our website.  The Advisory Committee looks forward to seeing everyone at the Annual Town Meeting which will be held on May 7, 2018 at 7 pm at the Hanover High School Auditorium.

Affirmative Action Committee

Board of Selectmen appointed Anthony Marino, Acting Town Manager as a member on this committee, no other updates at this time

Affordable Housing Trust

The Affordable Housing Trust has worked with the Planning Office and other Committees and Boards in the Town to create a subgroup called the Hanover Housing Group with members from the Affordable Housing Trust, Planning Board, Board of Selectmen, and others to focus looking at Housing options available and possible bylaw amendments if needed. 

Board of Assessors

The Board of Assessors recommended the new tax rate for the BOS to approve.  The Board of Assessors continues to work closes with our Director of Assessing as we process tax abatement requests and deal with resident questions about the value of their home.

 

Board of Health

Board of Health - Monthly Update: April 2018

The Board of Health is working on offering the following programs over the next couple of months:

Until Help Arrives – You are the help

Medical Reserve Corp – FEMA, Wednesday, April 25 @6-9 Town Hall

Drug Take Back Day (April 28, COA @ 10-1p.m.)

Continue to give out Flu Shots  

Board of Public Works

The Board of Public Works does not meet on a regular basis, but remains ready to act should an issue arise that needs their attention

Board of Registrars of Voters

The Board of Registrars has been working diligently to process all of the census forms and work with the Town Clerk to prepare for upcoming Town Meeting and elections.

Board of Selectmen

The Board of Selectmen is working on updating all of their policies and will look to create new strategic goals after the new Town Manager is in place.  The Board also has the following ongoing projects or initiatives:

  • Worked with Alan Gould from MRI to hire a new Town Manager – Joseph Colangelo has been hired and will start on April 30, 2018.
  • Working with our Environmental Attorney to deal with the Fireworks Cleanup Site
  • Drafted language to change the Revolving Account bylaw to ensure that large expenditures have board or committee sign-offs before purchases are made
  • Update the Town Website – Currently working with Bill Hartigan to move this initiative forward
  • Draft a social media policy to ensure transparent and accurate information for our residents and business owners

 

The Board of Selectmen meet every two weeks or more if needed and work closely with the Town Manager and the Advisory Committee to prepare the FY19 Budget and the warrant articles for the upcoming town meeting on May 7, 2018

Bylaw Review Committee

The Bylaw review committee just completed working on the two special town meeting articles about recreational marijuana sales and over the next thirty days will be reviewing any town meeting articles that are submitted for changes to the Town’s General Bylaws

 

Center/Sylvester School Building Committee

The School Building Committee has been getting weekly updates from the Owners Project Manager (OPM), Dan Pallotta from P3 and has been monitoring the construction by having members of the committee attend the weekly construction meetings.

Over the next thirty days, the committee will hold a meeting on April 25, 2018, to tour the site and get an up-close view of construction to date and review the budget with the OPM.

Community Access and Media (CAM) Committee

The CAM Committee continues to support of PEG Access channels as they look to create programming for all of our channels.  This committee works closely with Colleen Smith, our Cable Access Director to decide on equipment purchases for the studios and assist with the new education classes that we offer at the High School.

Community Preservation Committee

The CPC members have wrapped up the articles for Town Meeting and are now preparing to present their Articles at Town Meeting.  CPC will look to accept new applications for funding during the 2018 Fall Season.

Conservation Commission

Conservation Commission Report- Current projects

Prepared by S. MacFarlane, Conservation Agent

April 5, 2018

 

  • BL 18-13, SE 31-1175- 135 Webster St.-  An Order of Conditions was issued to the South Shore Music Conservatory for a commercial redevelopment project  at this site that will improve stormwater management with the addition of a bio-retention system and upgraded stormwater management components.  Additional protection for an off-site wetland located at the property line has been approved as well.  

 

  • BL 18-14, 965 Washington St.-  A permit was issued for the expansion of nursery structures, installation of community gardens, viewing pool and small fish pond, proposed  within the buffer zone to a Bordering Vegetated Wetland (BVW).  No work is planned within Riverfront Area.  I am currently working with the applicant on a plan of action for the removal of invasive species within the wetland as well as its associated buffer zone.  To accomplish restoration of these areas and an educational component to the project, we will be investigating a wide variety of native New England plant species, especially those that are edible.

 

  • BL 17-78, SE 31-1167, 962 Washington St.-  Order of Conditions issued-  stormwater management improvements including new detention basin, parking lot upgrade and realignment of parking spaces, with restoration of an on-site Isolated Vegetated Wetland (IVW).  Site inspections conducted during storm events confirmed the malfunctioning of the front catch basin.  Inspections will be conducted post-cleaning of this catch basin during the week of April 16th

 

  • General permits were issued for the following sites and will include initial and continuing site inspections throughout construction:

 

  • BL 18-03, SE 31-1169, 1204 Main St.-  for a residential swimming pool and accessory structures;
  • BL 18-05, SE 31-1173, #11 Laurel Ln.-  for a new residential driveway that requires the crossing of a small area of BVW and stream with the installation of a 3-sided box culvert to access a new single family dwelling;
  • BL 18-02, SE 31-1168, Merchant’s Row-  As a result of a meeting in the Conservation Office this week, initial inspections are scheduled with the contractor for erosion control materials prior to the demolition  of buildings, staking of setback lines to the wetlands, as well as tree clearing for the expansion of the existing detention basin.
  • BL 18-08, 304 Cedar St.- for a residential inground swimming pool with accessory structures;
  • BL 18-07, 89 Lally Farms Dr.- for a new single family dwelling and associated landscaping;
  • BL 18-04, SE 31-1171, 176 Myrtle St.-  for a septic with a reminder that the existing deck and pool can remain, however, future replacement of either structure must be located out of the 25 ft. setback to the nearby wetlands.
  • BL 18-06, SE 31-1172, 466 Broadway-  for construction of a driveway to a new single family home;
  • BL 18-09, SE 31-1173,98 Autumn Ln.-  for residential inground swimming pool project with accessory structures;
  • BL 18-10, SE 31-1174, 51 Dana Dr.-  for driveway to a new single family dwelling and restoration of a wetland and associated buffer with installation of bio-retention areas for stormwater control.

 

  • Certificates of Compliance- Several projects have been inspected for Certificates of Compliance after completion of work including  a project at 85 Winter St.- Cri-Tech, Inc., and Mill Pond Dam removal project at the South Shore YMCA property.

 

  • Flooding issues: 1044, 1062, and 1082 Broadway-  I am currently working with the property owners of these three sites, the Acting Planner and Acting Building Commissioner concerning   flooding issues that effect all three properties, including the presence of a Vegetated Wetland and Isolated Land Subject to Flooding that is not associated with FEMA flood zone.  Engineering review was recommended and the Conservation Office will work with all parties on a resolution to this issue.   

 

  • Enforcement Issues-  The Commission ratified an Enforcement Order for the violations conducted at 212 Brook Circle.  Several other complaints and known violations are being investigated and will include additional inspections and meetings with the home owners.

 

  • Open Space Topics- I have tentatively scheduled meetings with individuals from the  Open Space Committee to discuss trail maintenance including establishment of a long term plan for damage to trees from storm events.  I also have proposed the establishment of a Volunteer Program with residents, scouts, students, and others to help the Open Space Committee with various upcoming projects, walks, and trail maintenance.  The idea is to have increased eyes on these properties so if an issue arises, it can more readily be dealt with and problems can be resolved in a more timely fashion.

 

  • Recycling in Municipal Buildings-  The Conservation Commission currently has an active recycling program (maintained by the Conservation Agent) within the Town Hall building.  As a result of several discussions over the past few years with the DPW Supt. and the many changes in DEP policies and regulations surrounding recycling (from increasing costs to dispose of it, and what items are accepted), the DWP Supt. and myself have a tentative meeting scheduled to discuss updating and enhancing the program.  As it is an existing Bylaw that all municipal building recycle, the Commission’s program may be adoptable by others.  

 

  • Planning Board/Conservation Accounts-  The Acting Planner and myself will be meeting to discuss a plan to enhance and simplify the process for establishing and maintaining Agency funds (Guarantee Deposit and Escrow Accounts), that will integrate Planning Board accounts into the database and accounting software used within the Conservation Office.  This will allow us to track all aspects and reporting of these funds in a more efficient manner. 

 

  • Vernal Pool observation-  March and April are the beginning of the Commission’s vernal pool observation and certification of potential vernal pools in Town.  I have recently obtained certification through MA DEP/NHESP to conduct and submit the appropriate documents for certification of these pools, which eliminates the expense to hire outside wetland scientists or consultants for this work, as has been past practice. 

 

  • Fireworks site-  Site inspections continue regarding the Conservation permits issued for this project.

Council on Aging

The COA Board has just accepted an updated version of the Policy Manual, Strategic Plan, and Board Guidelines, they are getting ready to request time with the Acting Town Manager and BOS to discuss the vision. 

Over the next thirty days, the board will look to work with Council director to implement some of the strategic plan items and prepare a presentation for the emergency generator capital request.

Design Review Board

The Design Review Board continues to review Planning Board applications for new buildings and is looking forward to the upcoming Prevites, Merchants Row and Honey Dew building plans to review.

Dog Park Committee

The Dog Park Committee will be coming in to meet with the Board of Selectmen to discuss the new bylaw approved at last Junes Special Town

Emergency Planning Committee

This committee continues to work closely with the Fire Chief to prepare for Emergency Planning situations and make sure that we have adequate shelter facilities ready to go should the need arise.  This group of volunteers has taken a lead with regard to sheltering and should be commended for their efforts.

Fireworks Site Focus Committee

The Fireworks Site Focus Committee has helped to hire environmental counsel to represent the Town with DEP and the Attorney General’s office as we coordinate the cleanup at the old Fireworks Site.  Moving forward this Committee will work with DEP and the Conservation Commission to help restore the natural resources at the site. 

Hanover 300 Master Plan Committee

This Committee has worked hard to update Hanover’s Master Plan and is currently awaiting a final edited version of the Master Plan from Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC). Once complete the updated version will be made available to the public.

Hanover Cultural Council

The Hanover Cultural Council is hard at work planning the scaled down version of Hanover Day for 2018 with just the Carnival and a few smaller events planned for this year.  However, they are excited about Hanover Day 2019 to be back in full swing with the work at the Center Elementary School almost completed by then. 

Historical Commission

The Historical Commission has been hard at work with a rush of demolition permits for buildings that they had to review and decide if the buildings were Historically Significant.  Some of these buildings included the Merchants Row Plaza, the Bruegger's Bagel plaza, the old tile store next to Namco and the old Midas Building near the Rt. 3 northbound exit. 

 

The Commission has been working on a pamphlet highlighting the history of Hanover. The Commission has also spearheaded getting the Invitation for Bid (IFB) out for the Albert White Barn, we received one bid which is being reviewed by the Commission so the Town Manager can dispose of the old barn. 

 

Information Technology Study Committee

April 2018 Update

 

Created by Town Meeting at the recommendation of the Board of Selectmen, the Information Technology Study Committee is comprised of five members: two appointed by the School Committee; two appointed by the Board of Selectmen; and one appointed by the Town Moderator. The Information Technology subcommittee continued meeting regularly meeting on March 1, 2018, March 22, 2018 and March 28, 2018.

            On March 1, 2018 the committee was provided with an update on the consolidated server article.  We will recommend that The Advisory Board not fund this article at town meeting due to an alternate funding source. The consolidated server will be funded by the Center School Building project. Bill Hartigan reported that any items funded by the Center School project has to “live” in that building (Center). Patrick O’Brien asked about UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply). Bill Hartigan responded that UPS will be in Center School. In the event of power outage, the UPS acts as a battery power supply until the generator kicks on. We also discussed security.  We discussed the need to provide quarterly metrics for security. We discussed SonicWall Logging and SonicWall Analyzer for generating quarterly reports. There is a cost to purchase license. Bill Hartigan reported that Icinga monitoring system is free and reports status of IT health quarterly. We are discussing how to provide quarterly reports next year. The committee was updated on the Middle School and Cedar School Security Camera Article. Tom Raab reported that the $150K article for security cameras at HMS and Cedar is on the warrant at town meeting. If approved, July 1 is target date for work to be started. The cost estimates are in line with the $150,000 requested.

Bob Murray discussed Green Communities expectations of reducing town electricity usage by 20%. He asked about rationale of computers being shut down at night vs. putting to sleep. Bill explained that software updates are done during the night and if computers are shut down updates cannot take place until computer is powered up in the morning. This takes time away from computer usage/teaching while computers then update. Due to this the “shut down” option on computers have been disabled. Also by eliminating many smaller printers and having staff print to large copiers we are reducing the carbon footprint.

Patrick O’Brien discussed ITIL (Information Technology Infrastructure Library)-best practices for effectively managing IT services. Brian Ciccolo reported the average life of desktop computers = 6 years, laptops = 4 years, tablets (iPads) = 3 years. Funding $50K every year for technology replacement/upgrades is better than asking for $500K in one year.  Bill Hartigan met with Board of Selectmen on Monday, February 26, 2018 and presented a prototype as to what the town website will look like. Brian Barthelmes discussed how social media is being used at this time to get information out to townspeople. Tom Raab explained that $92,731 has been added to the Technology budget as all the town and schools telephone expenses have been taken over by the technology budget. This is not an increase to the town as it has been transferred from other department budgets. Once new Town Manager is in place Brian would like to address a fleet management system. Bob Murray reported that School Dude may have a fleet management module. He will look into that option.

            On March 22, the Information Technology Subcommittee reviewed and commented on the draft PowerPoint created for the March 28, 2018 meeting with the Advisory Board.  The committee provided input and a final PowerPoint was created for our meeting with the Advisory Board on March 28, 2018. The Power Point presentation as well as of our agendas and approved minutes and meeting documents are available online at http://www.hanover-ma.gov/information-technology-study-committee.

Multi-Use Recreational Facility Study Committee

The Multi-Use Recreational committee is working towards presenting their findings at Town Meeting about constructing a new street hockey rink at B. Everett Hall Field

Open Data Committee

This Committee will be re-established once the new Town Manager is in place and will consist primarily of department heads.

Open Space Committee

This Committee continues to work on keeping our trail system open and clear for all our residents to use.  They also continue to look for new parcels of land to acquire so we can expand our current trail system.

Parks and Recreation Committee

Forge Pond Park

  • The Committee has received an inquiry from a local business owner regarding field sponsorship. In addition, a citizen has inquired about donating a park bench in memory of a loved one.
  • Due to the number of unleashed dogs complaints and dog waste, the Chair & Vice-Chair plan to meet with the Acting Town Manager to discuss increasing the number of dog waste stations and signage along the trails.
  • Build the Boards requested exclusive rights to 2018 outdoor movie nights. The Committee discussed & voted not to give exclusive rights to Build the Boards. 

 

Build the Boards

Parks & Recreation is facilitating discussion between the Build the Boards Committee and the DPW to develop a maintenance plan for the proposed skating facility.

 

Open Space and Recreation Plan

A draft copy of the 2017 Open Space and Recreation Plan was received by the Parks & Rec Chair and distributed to members of our Committee on the morning of Feb 13th.   Because the BoS had voted to accept the Draft as written at their Feb 12th meeting, prior to the Parks & Rec Committee review, the Parks & Rec Committee did not take a vote to approve the Plan at our Feb. 13th meeting.

 

 

May 2018

  • Forge Pond Park
    1. Concession – Soccer Booster Request
    2. Donation – Park Bench
  • Open Space and Recreation Plan
    1. Parks & Recreation classification
  • 2018 Field
    1. Permits – Update
    2. Fertilization Schedule

Planning Board

  Listed below are recent cases that have been discussed and decided upon by the Planning Board:

 

  • Case ID: TPL-18-4, the applicant 1082 Broadway, LLC, applied with the Planning Board a retreat lot on 1082 Broadway.  The applicant included a site plan for the Special Permit.  The applicants engineer revised the plans to show a previously unknown underground pipe mentioned by the abutters to the plan.  The Board opened the meeting on 2/26/2018 and was approved on 3/12/2018. 
  • Case ID: TPL-18-7, the applicant, J&N Realty Trust, 803 Washington Street, applied with the Planning Board for a Special Permit.  The applicant proposed alterations and structural changes to the existing building identified as 803 Washington Street which has been identified as a pre-existing non-conforming lot.  The applicant proposed an addition on the second floor of the building.  The Planning Board opened the public hearing on 3/12/2018 and was approved on 3/12/2018. 

Over the next 30 Days the Planning Board will review and discuss the following applications:

 

  • Case ID: TPL-17-21, Applicant Previte's Marketplace c/o H BRIARS REALTY CO INC., 283COLUMBIA ROAD has submitted an application for Site Plan Review and Special Permits.  Previte's Marketplace is submitting plans for his redevelopment of the site and the development of a new building which will incorporate the reuse of the historical barn structure on the property. The public hearing was opened on 12/4/2017, and discussed at the meeting 2/26/18. The applicant continued from the 3/12/2018 meeting and will go before the Board on the 4/9/2018 meeting. 

 

  • Case ID: TPL-18-5, the applicant Thomas J. Doherty, has submitted an application for a Definitive Subdivision for 3 Lots located on 334 King Street.  The applicant has asked for some waivers from the Definitive Subdivision Bylaws.   The meeting was scheduled to be opened on 2/26/2018 but was continued by the applicant to the meeting on 4/9/2018.

 

  • Case ID: TPL-18-6, the applicant, South Shore Conservatory of Music, Inc; Bill Arvanites, One Conservatory Drive, Hingham, MA 02043, has applied for a Special Permit and Site Plan Approval.  South Shore Conservatory is submitting plans for alteration and expansion of the building located at 135 Webster Street.  The applicant is looking to add an addition to the building.  The Planning Board opened the public hearing on 3/12/2018.  The next meeting will be held on 4/9/2018.   

Sylvester School Redevelopment Committee

The Sylvester School Redevelopment Committee met on March 8, 2018 to vote on the final dates to be included in the RFP for submission.  Currently the public hearing notice has been submitted to the newspaper for the RFP and will run on April 4 and 11.  The RFP will be released on the 18th

 

Zoning Board of Appeals

Listed below are recent cases that have been discussed and decided upon by the Zoning Board of Appeals:

 

  • Case ID: Z-18-3, The applicants Deborah J. White and Nancy G. Duke, 16 Ellis Avenue, applied with the ZBA for a variance from the front yard setback requirement to build an addition to the current structure while still conforming to wetland setbacks imposed by the Conservation Commission.  The ZBA opened the public hearing on 3/28/2018 and was approved on 3/28/2018. 

Over the next 30 Days the Planning Board will review and discuss the following applications:

 

  • Case ID: Z-18-2, the applicant Thomas J. Doherty, has submitted an application for a Definitive Subdivision for 3 Lots located on 334 King Street.  The applicant is requesting a variance along King Street from the required frontage from Section 7.340 (Lot Frontage) of the Hanover Zoning By-laws for lot 1 considered to be a corner lot fronting both King Street and the proposed roadway within the proposed three lot definitive subdivision.  The meeting was scheduled to be opened on 2/15/2018 and was continued to 4/9/2018.

 

  • Case ID: Z-18-4, the applicant, South Shore Conservatory of Music, Inc; Bill Arvanites, One Conservatory Drive, Hingham, MA 02043, has applied for a variance along the northeasterly corner of the property and a variance from maximum lot coverage for an performance hall addition.  The meeting was opened on 3/28/2018 and was continued to 4/9/2018. 

 

  • Case ID: Z-18-6, the applicant, Mahi Corp. Vishmu Patel, President, 227 Columbia Road, has applied for a variance for building coverage and lot coverage for an expansion in the rear of the property.  The meeting is scheduled for 4/11/2018.