History

The Hanover Senior Center began in 1889 as the King Street School. The building was in use as a school until 1953 when the Center Elementary School was opened. Following a period of disuse, the building became the meeting place of the Hanover Grange and eventually the Golden Age Club (1969). The Hanover Council for Aging, (more lately referred to as the Council On Aging), was formed in 1966 with five members appointed by the selectmen “for the purpose of providing information and services to elder residents of the community” and an office was provided in the building.

In 2010, a new building was erected for the Seniors of Hanover.