AN ACT ESTABLISHING A TOWN MANAGER FORM OF GOVERNMENT FOR THE TOWN OF HANOVER.
SECTION 2. BOARD OF SELECTMEN
(C) Executive Powers
The executive powers of the town shall be vested in the board of selectmen which shall serve as the chief policy making body of the town.
(1) The board of selectmen shall have all of the executive powers given to boards of selectmen by the General Laws except for those granted to the town manager. The board of selectmen shall be authorized to enter into intergovernmental or public or private agreements on such terms as it deems beneficial to the citizens of the town of Hanover.
(2) The board of selectmen shall be responsible for the formulation and promulgation of policy directives and guidelines to be followed by all town agencies serving under it, and in conjunction with other elected town officers and multiple member bodies to develop and promulgate policy guidelines designed to bring the operation of all town agencies into harmony; provided, however, that nothing in this section shall be construed to authorize any member of the board of selectmen, or a majority of such members, to become involved in the day-to-day administration of any town agency. It is the intention of this provision that the board of selectmen shall act only through the adoption of broad policy guidelines, which are to be implemented by officers and employees serving under it.
(3) The board of selectmen shall cause the by-laws, rules and regulations for the government of the town to be enforced and shall cause an up-to-date record of all its official acts to be kept.
(4) The board of selectmen shall appoint the town manager and town counsel, and approve the hire of the town audit firm, which shall be chosen by the town manager.
(5) The board of selectmen shall be the licensing board of the town and shall have the power to issue licenses, to make all necessary rules and regulations regarding the issuance of such licenses, and to attach such conditions and restrictions thereto as it deems to be in the public interest. The board of selectmen shall enforce the laws relating to all businesses for which it issues such licenses. The board of selectmen under this act may delegate or reorganize any local licensing authority or process notwithstanding any general laws relating to local governance to the contrary.
(6) The board of selectmen shall be responsible for providing timely audits as required by law. The audits shall be made by a certified public accountant, or firm of such accountants, who have no personal interests, direct or indirect, in the fiscal affairs of the town government of the town of Hanover or any of its officers.
- 2011 DRA - CIC Building Study Final Report
- 840 Washington St Motions and Affidavit
- 840 Washington St Petition with Exhibits
- Annual Town Meeting Warrants
- Annual Town Reports
- Board and Committee Openings
- Board of Selectmen - GOALS
- CPA Fund Accounting
- Employee Work Agreements
- Facilities Department Presentation (4-6-16)
- Fire Department - Information
- Forge Pond Park
- General Powers & Duties
- Hacketts Pond Dam Repairs
- Town Hall Cupola Restoration
- Update & Recommendations on Water Rates
- Watch the Selectmen's Meeting
- Water Quality Information